Building Services is responsible for reviewing construction plans for compliance with building codes; issuing permits; inspecting building construction; administering and enforcing building construction codes; ensuring compliance with health and safety regulations; and providing general building information.

Most residential, commercial and industrial construction and demolition work whether it be new construction, an addition, remodel, repair or alteration requires a building permit. For example: signs, banners, fences, re-roofs, electrical upgrades, plumbing upgrades, window change outs all require a permit.


To view or print out a copy of the building permit application form, simply double click on the type of permit you are seeking. A combination permit is not available to accommodate a multiple trade construction project. For building permit fees, please click the Fee Schedule Resolution for additional information.

When some portion of the proposed work includes construction or alteration of the sidewalk, alley or public street, a permit is also required from the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department.

To assist you through the permitting process, provided below are examples of the most frequently asked questions:


The Planning Division, Permits & Licenses Division & Building Division of the Community Development Department is located in City Hall, Room 101, 1700 W. 162nd Street in Gardena. Planners are available to answer simple questions and otherwise assist you on a first-come-first-serve basis from Monday through Thursday between 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and on Friday between 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We recommend that you call ahead to schedule an appointment with a planner, at (310) 217-9530 for any complex matters.

Permit and plan review fees are based on the valuation of the project, which includes construction, finish work, painting, roofing, plumbing, and any other permanent equipment. For more information, call the Permit Technician at (310) 217-9530 or refer to City Fee Schedule listed above.

Permits can be taken out only by properly licensed individuals (Section 7031.5 California Business ad Professional Code) or individuals specifically exempt (Section 7044) from the provision of the Contractors State License Law.

  • Property state license contractor, with a valid state contractors license and current City Business License.
  • Owner / builder of a residential or commercial property on which the project is proposed, provided that he / she signs and marks the declaration on permit stating they are:
  1. Owner of property doing the work themselves or using employees with wages as sole compensation to do the work and that the structure is not intended to be offered for sale. (If owner decides to sell the property he or she must reside in the premises for 1 year after completion of the project. He or she can improve only two properties in any three year period; or
  2. As owner of the property, he/she will contract with only licensed contractors to preform the work and the contractor(s) shall possess a current business license.


Prior to permit issuance, a valid certificate of Worker’s Compensation Insurance or a Certificate of Consent to Self Insure, issued by the Director of Industrial Relations must be filed with the Building Office.

Exempt from this requirement are:

  • Jobs in which materials and labor are less than $500
  • The contractor’s license has an exempt certification
  • Owner builder signs a statement specifying “I certify that in the performance of the work for which this permit is issued, I shall not employ any person in any manner so as to become subject to the workmen’s compensation laws of California.

Construction is a substantial financial investment, which can be seriously jeopardized by non-complying construction. Work done without required permits is not only illegal, but will create problems when you try to sell your property. Fire and homeowner’s insurance coverage for work done without a permit may be invalidated.

There are many reasons for obtaining building permits for construction.
Taking out a permit provides you the services of a plan check engineer who will make sure that the plans are complete, that the plans comply with accepted engineering principles, and that the plans meet state minimum construction standards and a building inspector to perform inspections to make sure that construction is consistent with the plans and minimum standards for construction technique.

Most residential, commercial and industrial construction and demolition work whether, new, addition, remodel or alteration need permits. Signs, banners, fences, re-roofs, electrical upgrades, plumbing upgrades, window change outs all require permits.

The most common exceptions to the building permit requirement are:

  • Construction of decks and platforms less than thirty inches high not attached to dwelling, open walkways and driveways
  • Installation of ceramic tile on floor and counter tops and on walls not more than 69 inches high and not in showers or tubs
  • Prefabricated swimming pools that do not exceed 24 inches in depth/5,000 gallon capacity, without electrical or plumbing fixtures
  • Construction of cases, counters and partitions less than five feet nine inches (5’9″) high
  • Painting, papering and similar finish work
  • One-story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the roof area does not exceed 120 sq. feet

Not at this time. However, all permit application forms are available on this web page. (See Above)

Permits can be issued over the counter (same day) without plan check on some of the simpler projects if they are properly documented. For more complex projects, permits are issued upon approval of plans by all applicable agencies. It takes approximately 3-6 weeks for approval or plan corrections, depending upon the plan check workload of the applicable agencies. Most plans must be reviewed and approved by Planning, Public Works, L.A. County Fire Department, Los Angeless Unified School Dirstrict (LAUSD). In some cases Los Angeles County Industrial Waste, Los Angeles County Health Department and other agencies must endorse the plans. The applicant is notified by phone when plans have been approved by all applicable agencies or when the review has been completed and corrections are required.

Permits are valid for 6 months. At the end of 6 months from the date of issuance or after 6 months have elapsed without substantial progress as substantiated by a city inspection, the permit shall become null and void. Permits must be obtained to continue construction.


“We have enjoyed an excellent relationship for over 20 years with the City of Gardena’s Economic Development Department. Their team of professionals have provided us with attentiveness, resources and are always available to help facilitate developments on our end.”


Hustler Casino
“The City of Gardena views themselves as “partners” in creating what’s best for the City. They work hand in hand with the developer to insure the City gets the best possible project for their citizens.”


G3 Urban
“The City Government has always been receptive to our business’s needs. The City offers incentives, an excellent quality-of-life for all its citizens and an attractive talent pool of people from diverse backgrounds.”


Gardena Nissan
"Gardena is a clear leader in the South Bay. Since moving our business here, the City has maintained safe and clean neighborhoods for us to business in.”


Southwest Offset Printing
“Gardena is a vibrant place to do business and is a great place to live and call home. It is a great city with a solid pro-business government and a great well tenured City council.”


MOP Consulting
“The City of Gardena is an outstanding place for a business to grow. The business-friendly environment, experience amongst the Economic Development team and key location are excellent reasons why businesses continue to thrive here.”


Keller Williams


Contact the Gardena Economic Development Department at (310) 217-9533